SERVFAIL - need advice on diagnosing

Ronald Landheer ronaldlandheer at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 28 17:13:36 UTC 2001

OK, so there's no difference between the two servers except that one
fails and the other doesn't?
/etc/resolv.conf is the same?
/etc/named.conf is the same (you just told me so)

hmm..

If resolv.conf is not it either, I suggest posting the config and
letting the gurus (NOT me) take a look at it - that's what I did :)

I should say I'm no wiz at bind: I stick around on helpful lists to
learn and be helpful when I've had similar problems (least I can do)

The only files of importance I know of (other than basic network config,
which would make your problem obvious & one of many) are
/etc/resolv.conf, /etc/named.conf, /etc/hosts and /var/named/* (the zone
files). If BIND is failing, it's either this, or someone is teasing you.

Good luck :)

Ronald