A question about bind?

Joseph Watson jtwatson at datakota.com
Wed Nov 28 03:51:53 UTC 2001

Eivind Olsen wrote:

...snip...

> If you look at the output from your host-commands, the first one says it
> got the answer from the nameserver on 208.232.58.6 (ns1.myeasydomain.com).
>
> When I now query your nameserver ns3.datakota.com it shows the following
> problems:
>
> 1) The domain is delegated to ns2.datakota.net and ns3.datakota.com, but
> you only have an NS record in your zonefile pointing to ns3.datakota.com.
> You should have one for ns2.datakota.net as well.
>
> 2) The MX record points to mail.datakota.com, which is a CNAME to
> www.datakota.com. MX records should point to A records, not CNAME records.
>
> 3) You list ns1.datakota.com and ns2.datakota.com as hosts in your zoefile,
> and they are CNAMEs to www.datakota.com. If they are to be used as
> nameservers, they should be A records instead.

Hello
	Thanks for the pointers, they should be fixed and I upgreated to a 8.2.3
version from mandrake.  Thier is only one problem left, and that is
ns2.datakota.net is regitered with a old address still :( .  That is being
fixed.

But still  I have a problem that I can not query the dns server directly???

This is what I get:

[jtwatson at Smokey jtwatson]$ host -a www.datakota.com 216.16.67.246
Trying "www.datakota.com"
[jtwatson at Smokey jtwatson]$

Am I using the host util wrong????  Does anyone have any idea what is wrong
here?

I can make a dns change, and because I have the cache time settings set
real low,  I see the changes in a few minutes!  Because the changes come
through, I know that the dns server is working when queried by another dns
server, but I can not query my dns server directly????

Thanks for all the help

Joseph