dns timeout?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 27 22:35:17 UTC 2001

One of the delegated servers for 83.73.66.in-addr.arpa,
ns2.ameritech.net, appears to not be answering queries. Maybe you have a
routing or firewall problem which prevents you from talking to the
working server (or perhaps you can't talk to either of them, in which
case it's irrelevant that ns2 is non-functional).

The reason you get no delay when telnet'ing to port 25 is probably
because your mail server is not configured to do reverse lookups on
connecting clients' addresses.

No, you don't need to reload named when changing the hosts file. named
and the hosts file don't interact with each other.

Then again, maybe the delay has nothing to do with DNS at all. What kind
of logging/debugging does your POP3 server provide?

- Kevin