user version of resolv.conf ?

Dairy Wall Limey william+dns at hq.newdream.net
Tue Nov 27 08:16:41 UTC 2001

Beeblebrox wrote:

> Suggestions? (besides working for another company, which isn't an
> option given the current economic climate).

well it might be kind of ugly, but you could write some sort of shell
function that would do this sort of thing.  if you use zsh, you can
probably do it really easily (and even setup tab completion of
hostnames, which is pretty easy to do with zsh).  in fact, tab
completing the fqdn might even be an option.

of course this is only useful in the shell environment, and wouldn't
work for gui programs if you're running X sessions or anything.

however i don't think there's any direct way to do what you're asking;
at least i've never heard of a way to do it.  the 'search' directive can
take up to 6 names, so you could beg and plead with the admins to add
your names to the search list.

if you have control over some / all of the dns zones involved, you might
want to simply create cname records in a zone that IS in the search path
on most / all machines.

for instance, my home machine isn't on our office network, but i have an
alias from 'aura.hq.newdream.net' to 'aura.infinitejazz.net' just for
the sake of convenience.

HTH, and i hope that someone else has a better solution for you.