A question about bind?

Joseph Watson jtwatson at datakota.com
Tue Nov 27 03:32:43 UTC 2001

Hello,

	I have been running bind for about a year or so, and am running version
bind-8.2.2P5-1mdk, from mandrake 7.0.  I am in the process of upgrading,
and ran into a few problems.  So I ended up putting it back to keep it
working and try to figure out how to trouble shoot it.  With a working
setup I tryed to query the server directly with the host utility, and it
will not anwser??  I know the server is working, because all domains on
the server will resolve if you let your default dns server take care of
it.  It has been up for a few week since I put it back, so I know that
the answers are not laying around in the cache of othier dns servers.
Here is what it is doing:

[jtwatson at Smokey jtwatson]$ host -a www.datakota.com
Trying "www.datakota.com"
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.datakota.com.              IN      ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.datakota.com.       60      IN      A       216.16.67.246

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
datakota.com.           60      IN      NS      ns3.datakota.com.

Received 68 bytes from 208.232.58.6#53 in 393 ms
[jtwatson at Smokey jtwatson]$ host -a ns3.datakota.com
Trying "ns3.datakota.com"
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ns3.datakota.com.              IN      ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ns3.datakota.com.       60      IN      CNAME   www.datakota.com.
ns3.datakota.com.       172786  IN      A       216.16.67.246

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
datakota.com.           60      IN      NS      ns3.datakota.com.

Received 82 bytes from 208.232.58.6#53 in 252 ms
[jtwatson at Smokey jtwatson]$ host -a ns3.datakota.com 216.16.67.246
Trying "ns3.datakota.com"
[jtwatson at Smokey jtwatson]$

Why when I try to ask the server directly does it fail???  I need to be
able to ask the server directly, because when I change to a new server,
I need to be able to test without worring about old cached anwsers!

Any help will be great!

Thanks

Joseph