where does my master send the notify message?

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Mon Nov 26 21:09:48 UTC 2001

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 09:50:18PM +0100, Michael Kjorling wrote:

> Perhaps not automate it, but the script included below might help you
> a little. Just be sure to customize it for your system; also, it comes
> with NO WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER. I take no responsibility for any damage
> it may cause to your systems; use at your OWN risk.
>
> Execute it as:
>
> [/bin/bash] <filename> zonename master1 [ master2 ... ]
>
> You can specify a basically unlimited number of master servers.
>
> On Nov 26 2001 21:40 +0100, Michael Boehme wrote:
>
> > P.S.: Is there any way to automate the zone-file the slave holds? If I setup
> > a  new domain I will have to add it to the masters zone file and even to the
> > slaves zone file to let it know that it should poll the zone from the
> > master.

I have a system where a simple perl script translates all the zone{}
directives from the master into a format for the slaves.

In order to keep the script simple and the configuration of my slaves
customizable, I "include" the zone{} directives from another file in my
named.conf file on the master and on the slaves. This way I can sync
*only* the zone file, and keep the nameserver config separate. I need
this since some servers are recursive, others aren't, some enable
"host-statistics", others don't, etc. I use rsync over SSH with
public-key authentication (and a passphrase) to sync the file(s).

Doing it this way enables me to be flexible with the nameserver config
while keeping the zones loaded on the slaves in sync with the master.

There's plenty of examples of filter scripts in the archives, if you
need one.
--
Nate Campi | Terra Lycos DNS | SF UNIX Operations | (415) 276-8678

God does not play dice.
            -- Einstein