AW: confused - can you clear the mud? - ignorant newbie

Peer Stefan stefan.peer at tiwag.at
Fri Nov 23 07:37:45 UTC 2001

Hi Darren,

The first thing you have to do is to set up a named.conf. The common
location is /etc. You can find a very basic example in DNS and Bind (4th
edition) on pages 71 and 72. Within this configuration file you have the
so-called zone settings, e.g.:
 zone "movie.edu" in {
   type master;
   file "db.movie.edu";
 };
This directives declare this name-server as master for the movie.edu zone.
All the zone configuration (SOA-record, NS-records, MX-records, A-records,
CNAMEs et al) go in there. This zone enables you to do name lookups (e.g.
"dig www.movie.edu", if there is a record for www in the dv.movie.edu file),
but not to do reverse lookups.
Go through "Chapter 4: Setting Up BIND" step-by-step. There are examples and
explanations for the configuration.
Hope this helps for the start.

regards,
Stefan Peer