Is is possible to view the in-addr.arpa file with dig??

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Nov 21 23:49:42 UTC 2001

Scott wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a domain, pukkamail.com, hosted with a remote dns management site at
> mydomain.com.
>
> I am able to view the zone file by typing "dig @ns1.mydomain.com
> pukkamail.com any" but does anyone know how, if at all, I can view the
> reverse in-addr.arpa file of my domain. If so can you show me the command
> please.

Queries of type "any" operate at a *name* rather than a *zone* level, even if
the name happens to be that of a zone. You may not have grasped the
distinction up until now because presumably this domain is only used for mail,
and you haven't implemented subdomains. But, if you created a
"www.pukkamail.com" in the "pukkamail.com" zone, then "dig @ns1.mydomain.com
pukkamail.com any" would never show it. In a similar vein, doing an
"any" query on a reverse zone doesn't yield any PTR records, since those
typically are owned by names other than that of the zone.

If you want to query the entire zone *contents*, you can try a query type of
"axfr". This uses the same mechanism that is used for master/slave replication
and will only work if the server allows unrestricted zone transfers, or if it
specifically allows your client to perform zone transfers.

- Kevin