Newbie: Info/Advice/Help Please

Eivind Olsen eivind.olsen at ttyl.com
Wed Nov 21 06:32:30 UTC 2001

--On 20. november 2001 22:43 +0000 "John \"Newbie\""
<error401no at spamlineone.net> wrote:
> Ask them to give me 2 ip's
> Install Bind (or similar)
> Set up ns0.blar.com
> Set up ns1.balr.com
> & I'm done....yes ?

Faking to have two different nameservers is not a good idea. The reason
most registrars require at least two nameservers for a domain is because of
redundancy. With your proposed solution, "both" nameservers will be down if
your server has a problem, or if the co-location company has problems with
its network etc.

Also, some registrars will notice that your nameservers are probably on the
same subnet (because it'll most likely get IP-addresses that are close to
each other).

If you want to deliver DNS-services to customers, you should get someone to
run secondary DNS-services for you at another location. This can probably
be provided by many different companies, but I'd like to recommend Nominums
GNS-service (http://www.nominum.com has information about it).

--
Talk To You Later
Eivind Olsen