dyn. dns-update

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Thu Nov 15 23:53:11 UTC 2001

> Is there a way to update dns without restarting and without
> nsupdate?? I tried just editing the .hosts-file but this
> seems to be cached by local dns with any SOA-values.
>
> nsupdate does not seem to work the way i did it:
> ----
> update delete test2.domain.de A
> update add test2.domain.de 30 A 62.96.170.43
>
> ---
> The .hosts-file is the same before and after.

But did named create a .log or .jnl file?  Did you use a DNS
query tool to see whether an address record for test2.domain.de
had been added?  You should also try running nsupdate in debug
mode to see if it's working.  And remember to use "send" or a
blank line to induce nsupdate to send the update.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes