BIND 9/8 Question DDNS Question

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Thu Nov 15 23:42:56 UTC 2001

> I know what I've experienced, but I'm wondering if there is something new,
> that I haven't seen/enabled yet!
>
> What BIND option, if any, would prevent DNS name Hi-jacking.
>
> Scenario, What if I change my name to mail.company.com, enabled
> my interface
> for DHCP, and then obtained a lease.  Wouldn't my newly changed
> name become
> the "mail.company.com" A Record.  Therefore now all internal SMTP mail
> (Assuming MX records, blah, blah) would be routed to me.  Page 252 in the
> "DNS Dynamic Update" chapter of DNS & BIND V4, talks, briefly about this
> occurrence, but doesn't describe the behavior that would happen.
>
> QUOTE: "only if the domain name Armageddon.fx.movie.edu isn't currently
> being used, or only if Armageddon.fx.movie.edu currently has no address
> records".
>
> Question: What happens if the DHCP Server sends an update to the
> Authorative
> zone server, the record exists, but has a different IP address,
> will it add
> it (creating a round robin), will it replace it, or what??

Boy, did you ever take that quote out of context.  That's simply an
example of what you can do with dynamic update.  Did you read the
section on p. 255 called "Update Access Control Lists"?

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes