Odd CNAME problem !

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Nov 15 15:51:17 UTC 2001

In article <9t0koh$so2 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Roar Pettersen <roar at heathcomm.no> wrote:
>Hi !
>
>I'm running bind-9.1.3 on a linux 2.4 box and try to do
>some new dns configuration :
>
>domain.com.    CNAME    www.newdomain.com.
>
>This doesn't work, maybe I'm not allowed to do this ?

Correct.  Didn't you see the error message in the log, complaining about
"CNAME and other data"?  Since domain.com has SOA and NS records of its
own, it can't also be an alias.

Your subject line calls this an "odd" problem, yet it comes up in this
group at least once a week.  But I guess people who don't read log messages
also don't bother to use search engines, either.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA