hint zone loaded 8 thousand times a day?

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Nov 15 00:03:07 UTC 2001

> In article <9suotn$ckt at pub3.rc.vix.com>,  <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:
> >> In can see in my logging of the namerserver that the hint zone gets
> >> loaded over 8000 times a day. Is this normal behaviour? If not, what
> >> clue on what could cause this?
> >	Fix the expired zones.
>
> Are you saying that every time BIND gets a query in an expired zone, it
> will reload the root hint zone?  Why?

	Every time BIND 8 removes a expired zone from memory it has to
	reload the the next zone above it that it has.  The is to replace
	glue that was wiped out by the zone that expired.  Reloading the
	server causes all the expired zones to be restored only to be
	deleted (the server has to read the SOA record to workout if it
	has expired).  You can also skip these reload with the correct
	ndc arguements to reload.

	Before you say it, the hints really don't need to be reloaded in
	this case.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org