Changing DNS cache on home LAN?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Nov 14 15:57:09 UTC 2001

In article <9su2ed$6i7 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
The Good Doctor <ratboy11- at fast.net> wrote:

>I totally agree I should not have this problem at all, but I do and the
>only answers I could find, whether in a newsgroup or books or usenet, is
>that it's a problem with the implementation of tcp/ip on the router and
>the only way around it is having a local caching-only DNS server for
>reverse lookups.

You don't want a caching-only server.  You need to make your server
authoritative for the 168.192.in-addr.arpa reverse domain and the forward
domain that you're putting in these PTR records.  That way it won't need to
go out to the Internet to perform lookups of your local addresses and
names.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA