Changing the IP address of dns server

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Nov 13 16:40:28 UTC 2001

In article <9srf8h$jaj at pub3.rc.vix.com>, limkb <limkb at novasprint.com> wrote:
>Currently the dns database of our domain is maintained by someone
>else. In that database, there are two A record: dns01 and dns02. Now
>we want to do two things.
>First, we want to take over the job of maintaining the DNS database of
>"our-domain.com".
>
>Second, we want to change the "dns01.our-domain.com" and
>"dns02.our-domain.com" A resource records:
>1) dns01: change the ip address from 11.11.11.1 to 22.22.22.1;
>2) dns02: change the ip address from 11.11.11.2 to 22.22.22.2;
>
>Our questions are:
>1) What is the procedure to change dns servers and the A records? Just
>go to the networksolutions website and change it?

You also have to change the records in the DB file.

>2) How long does it take for the changes to become effective?

Glue records on the GTLD servers have 2-day TTLs.  It takes about a day for
NSI to process your change, and then the old addresses will linger in
caches for a couple of days.

>3) We have customers using dns01 and dns02 as their dns servers. If we
>change the IP addresse of dns01 and dns02, do they need to do
>anything?

DNS resolvers are configured using IP addresses, not names (if they were
configured using names, how would they resolve those names?).  So if you
want them to change to the new servers, they'll have to reconfigure.

>Now if we use whois to check their domain data, we can see that the
>dns
>records are dns01.our-domain.com (11.11.11.1) and dns02.our-domain.com
>(11.11.11.2). After we change the dns servers of the "our-domain.com"
>domain and the IP address of dns01 and dns02, will these changes be
>automatically reflected in our customers' domain data? That is, if we
>use whois to check their domain data again, will the dns records now
>become dns01.our-domain.com (22.22.22.1) and dns02.our-domain.com
>(22.22.22.2)?

The addresses are associated with the server names, not the domains.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA