NSUpdate : manual update of zone

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Nov 10 00:48:49 UTC 2001

Zorglub wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've started to use nsupdate and I'm pretty happy with it BUT I've red
> somewhere that manual editing of a zone that have been modified by nsupdate
> is not recommended...
>
> My problem is that using nsupdate for any zone change is quite tedious (and
> I often change them) :
>
> 1) Is it right that manual modifications must been avoided

It is more correct to say that manual modifications should be avoided for any
zone that is being maintained via Dynamic Update. Whether or not you use
nsupdate to generate your Dynamic Updates is up to you.

> 2) If yes, what kind of tool can I use to avoid command line use of nsupdate
> ?

The Net::DNS Perl module has Dynamic Update capabilities. Of course, you can
put any frontend you want on nsupdate or any other Dynamic Update client. If
you're willing to invest a little time and effort into frontending, there's no
reason you *have* to run nsupdate from the command-line. All of my zones are
maintained via Dynamic Update, but I _rarely_ have to run nsupdate from the
command-line...

- Kevin