Corrupt cache

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Fri Nov 9 23:25:34 UTC 2001

Uh, you're quoting two different people here.  The quote above is
me, but below it's Mark Andrews.

> Nothing is in the search list. It looks to me like its defaulting to
> 'com'.

You mean, "There's no explicit search list configured," right?

> >> 	Note "domain a.b.c" produced different default search list
> to "domain
> >> 	a.b.c." (trailing period).
> >>
> >> 	domain dv.isc.org => dv.isc.org isc.org domain dv.isc.org. =>
> >> 	dv.isc.org. isc.org. org.
>
> What does domain isc.org return

It should create a search list that includes just isc.org.

> >> 	The following program will print the search list.
>
> Not sure what I'm supposed to do w/ that.

Compile it and run it to see what the search list on your box is.

> > You can always use nslookup

Now you're quoting me again.

> Nslookup just shows that neither domain nor search are set.

Okay.

> Man resolver looks pretty old ('93) but it seems to indicate that
> donain.com would default to com and I did find what caused my 'corrupt
> cache'

No resolver I know of does that.

> query: openaccess.org IN A
> query: openaccess.org.com IN A
>
> Somebody implied this isn't supposed to happen but so far all that's been
> talked about is 3 label hosts. I'm using a recent Mandrake distro w/ bind
> 9.1.1. I did have domain com in resolv.conf (think Webmin did that) so I
> deleted resolv.conf. I still see
>
> query: phpnuke.org IN AAAA
> query: phpnuke.org.com IN AAAA
> query: phpnuke.org IN A
>
> (Konqueror browser) which implies the default search is still 'com'

Well, not definitively.  Konqueror could be adding com all by itself.
Other browsers are known to add com and prepend www.  You'd have to
check the source to be sure.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes