bind9 zone transfers with rsync

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 9 09:46:37 UTC 2001

Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <9seq25$eu3 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, chris <cherbst at hotpop.com> wrote:
> >
> >In article <9seflf$bs2 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, "Simon Waters"
> ><Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Why specifically do you want BIND to call the program?
> >
> >Large zone file, ~10 MB.  Other admin would prefer rsync to AXFR.
>
> I think you misunderstood the question.  He wasn't asking why you want to
> use rsync, but why it's necessary for BIND to invoke it.  You could instead
> use a cron job, or run a script on the master machine that pushes the file
> over after you modify it.

Yes, but more specifically what is altering the zone files and
how?

You say "you aren't making the changes on the master server",
but I wasn't really interested in the actual person, but the
procedure.

Presumably after the files are modified, it is reloaded using
rndc reload, or someother procedure. Why can't that procedure be
altered to call rsync?

Thus the only exception to this kind of procedure I've seen is
for DDNS, for which IXFR is probably more appropriate for the
reasons given.