"include" command in a zone-file with dynamic updates...

Burkhard Weeber B.Weeber at viastore.de
Thu Nov 8 16:02:21 UTC 2001

Some remarks if you are using dynamic updates based on 8.2.4REL .

1. The dynamic updates are only kept in memory and the DB file is dumped at intervals to prevent data loss. These intervals based on number of updates and time are hard coded in the source. Of course the DB files are dumped when terminating the program via ndc or signal 15.

2. As a result of 1. all "include ..." statements and manual ordering vanish with the first dump.

Conclusion:
If you are using dynamic updates you must not mess with the DB files anymore.
You have to use "nsupdate" instead which is quite slow but keeps the serial number and data base OK.

HiH

Burkhard Weeber
viastore systems GmbH
P/O Box 300668
D-70446 Stuttgart
Tel: +49-711-9818-0
Email: B.Weeber at viastore.de

Windows95: <win-doz-nin-te-fiv> n.
32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit
operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by
a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.