sysquery errors (different, i think)

Tyler Frederick tyler at sportsline.com
Thu Nov 8 14:00:26 UTC 2001

Gang,

I'm new to the list, but I am also a firm believer in searching the
archives before posting.  I found many messages relating to my error,
but none seemed to help me.  Here's a snip from my /var/log/messages on
a Slackware 4.0 box (running 8.2.3-REL):

# -- snip --

Nov  7 16:57:44 ns1 named[10290]: No root nameservers for class IN
Nov  7 16:57:44 ns1 named[10290]: sysquery: nlookup error on ?
Nov  7 16:58:13 ns1 last message repeated 23 times
Nov  7 16:59:11 ns1 last message repeated 51 times
Nov  7 17:00:11 ns1 last message repeated 32 times

# -- snip --

Keep in mind that this happens sporadically, 99% of the time after
adding a zone or something to the named.conf (which has a correct entry
for the hints zone, btw) and doing an 'ndc restart' or 'ndc reload'.  No
real way to fix it, just keep restarting until it works (which it
eventually does, 3 to 7 restarts later or so)

Now, I've read the archives, I've seen what allegedly causes this, but I
have no firewall, no ACL's on a router, no NOTHING between this box and
the rest of the world, so it's not a case of it not being able to reach
the root servers (as a matter of fact, I can do an nslookup off of
198.41.0.4 (which is a.root-servers.net, btw) when this problem is
manifesting itself with no problems at all)

I hope I've given you guys enough info to maybe help me and take a stab
at this, any help at all would be great as this is starting to become a
real PITA if you know what I mean.

Thanks again!

tf.