Corrupt cache

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Thu Nov 8 01:27:12 UTC 2001

> > The default BIND 4.8.3 search list only "devolved" (to use Microsoft's
> > term) to two labels, and the Windows resolvers follow that behavior,
> > so that's right.  I suppose you could deliberately put a single-label
> > domain name into the search list with the search directive, though.
>
> 	Note "domain a.b.c" produced different default search list to
> 	"domain a.b.c." (trailing period).
>
> 	domain dv.isc.org => dv.isc.org isc.org
> 	domain dv.isc.org. => dv.isc.org. isc.org. org.

Son of a gun--I had no idea.  But I just verified it on my FreeBSD box.

> 	The following program will print the search list.

You can always use nslookup, too, assuming that your system's
nslookup is of the same vintage as your resolver.  Just type
"set all" in interactive mode and look for "srchlist."  One
of the few things nslookup is good for....

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes