Strange nslookup/dns behavior

Will Yardley william+dns at hq.newdream.net
Wed Nov 7 23:33:52 UTC 2001

George Robinson II wrote:

> 	I can't seem to find the answer to my little problem in any FAQs
> 	or docs.  I believe I need some help to know how to ask the
> 	right question.

look in the archives. it's a faq.

> 	When, on my solaris 7 system (and other OSes and networks), I
> 	run the following command [the details have been changed to
> 	protect the guilty]...

it's generally a bad idea to do this.  it's much easier to help people
when they give the actual names / IP addresses, and you might remove
important information when obscuring the information.

> % nslookup ns1.mydomain.com ns1.mydomain.com
>
> 	... it comes back nice and happy, but with my secondary, I get...
> -----
> % nslookup ns2.mydomain.com ns2.mydomain.com
> *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.72.123: No response from server
> *** Default servers are not available

don't use nslookup, or setup reverse dns for 192.168.72.123 (or
preferably both)

> ----- However, if I were to run nslookup in interactive mode, it's
> quite happy and have any complaints...
> -----
> % nslookup
> Default Server: ns1.mydomain.com
> Address:  192.168.72.10

the default server is different from the one you've specified on the
previous command line, and presumably reverse dns is setup properly for
this one.

your logic would be a bit easier to follow if you didn't obscure the
hostnames and IP addresses involved.

use dig or host instead of nslookup.

GPG Public Key:
http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/