Corrupt cache

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Wed Nov 7 18:16:58 UTC 2001

> I was under the impression that the resolver algorithm would never append
a single
> label (e.g. "com") as a search element. That's what the whole "ndots"
option was
> created for, wasn't it? I.e. the ability to override the default minimum
of 2
> labels...

The default BIND 4.8.3 search list only "devolved" (to use Microsoft's
term) to two labels, and the Windows resolvers follow that behavior,
so that's right.  I suppose you could deliberately put a single-label
domain name into the search list with the search directive, though.

ndots is different, though.  It's the number of dots that need to be
present in a domain name argument to trigger the resolver to look up
that argument as-is, before applying the search list.
cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes