migration from pre bind 8 to v8 or greater.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Nov 7 03:10:37 UTC 2001

The use of random unprivileged ports was largely for security reasons. If you
use port 53 for everything, how can your firewall distinguish outgoing
queries from potentially malicious attempts to query your internal
nameservers from the outside? Sure, you can set query restrictions in
named.conf, but then you're relying on your nameserver to provide Internet
security measures. Isn't that what you bought the firewall for in the first
place?

- Kevin