DNS Issues: Drive us to Drink! AGGHGHGHHH!

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Nov 6 01:32:36 UTC 2001

> Gentlemen:
>
> We DID have it working however some fumble fingered sysadmin (who didn't
> keep current backups) whacked it out...
>
> How can we fix our DNS file to resolve to www.marcosoftware AND
> marcosoftware.com ?
>
> And anybody care to quote us on a maintanence contract?
> Thanks!
>
> ; Marcosoftware.com
> $TTL 3600
> @               in      soa     mercury.marcosoftware.com. ns.marcosoftware.com. (
>                                 200003251       ;serial
>                                 3600            ;refresh
>                                 1800            ;retry
>                                 604800          ;expiration
>                                 3600 )          ;minimum

	mercury.marcosoftware.com does not appear to exist.  The
	MNAME field is supposed to refer to the machine where you edit
	the zone data.

>                 in      ns      ns.marcosoftware.com.

	marcosoftware.com is currently delegated to ns.marcosoftware.com
	and NS1-AUTH.SPRINTLINK.NET.  This should be refected here or
	corrected.  NS1-AUTH.SPRINTLINK.NET is currently not configured
	to serve marcosoftware.com but that may come good once you get
	ns.marcosoftware.com actually serving the zone.

> @               in      a       208.3.198.5
>
> www             IN      CNAME   marcosoftware.com.
> ns              in      cname   ns.marcosoftware.com.

	Nameservers cannot be CNAMES.  Make the entry for NS a A record.

NS	in      a       208.3.198.5

> localhost       in      a       127.0.0.1.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org