What problems does non-authoratative data cause?

Eivind Olsen eivind.olsen at ttyl.com
Mon Nov 5 18:57:01 UTC 2001

--On 5. november 2001 18:49 +0000 Barry Margolin <barmar at genuity.net> wrote:
> In article <9s6mpo$1gm at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
> Eivind Olsen  <eivind.olsen at ttyl.com> wrote:
>> But what kind of problems will it really cause if the data served by the
>> master DNS is not authoratative for a little while?
> Slave servers refuse to transfer from the master if it responds
> non-authoritatively to the SOA query.  So the slaves will continue to
> respond with obsolete data.

And if I understand correctly, if this continues until the EXPIRE value in
the SOA is exceeded, then that domain will be gone for approx. 50% of the
people on the Internet (if there are two nameservers for the domain)?

Will it cause any other problems before the expire-value is exceeded?

--
Talk To You Later
Eivind Olsen