newbie ? be gentle

Will Yardley william+dns at hq.newdream.net
Sat Nov 3 19:54:04 UTC 2001

Richard Dekkard wrote:

> I have a mandrake 8 server running in my house here, and I want it to
> be a master dns for a few domains that I have.  I have registered a
> name "ns1.myhost.com" to my ip that I use for this server with netsol,
> and all seems to be kosher on that front.  I have now also set up a
> basic zone template for this domain on that same machine.

funny... mydomain.com doesn't seem to be registered to you....
on a serious note, please include your real zone name and server IP
address.

> a) it will take 48 hours or more for this record to now propogate to
> the rest of the world, or do I have to tell my bind8 config how to do
> that?

once you delegate the zone at the root server level to your machine, it
will take a varied amount of time for the new information to propagate.
48 hours is a good guess with netsol.  i would highly suggest setting up
a secondary server on a different network (in fact i'm not sure if
netsol will let you put in only one nameserver).  you can setup free
secondary service at secondary.com, or you can ask your ISP to setup one
of their nameservers as a slave to yours.

if you had mentioned the actual name of your zone it would make it a LOT
easier for us to see what nameservers your machine is pointing to, and
whether you have things setup correctly or not.

> b) when I set this actual server up, I put info for a dns server which
> is not mine (ns1.myisp.com), does this affect how this behaves, and
> can I ultimately replace the dns server I put in my netconf config
> with the ns1.mydomain.com that i registered with netsol.

if you're talking about what nameservers you put into /etc/resolv.conf,
you can put your machine in there immediately.... just put either
127.0.0.1 (assuming bind is listening on the loopback address) or your
nameserver's IP in your resolv.conf file.

this is TOTALLY separate from the whois info - you can use your
nameserver as a caching resolver without having any authoritative zones
on it.

> c) lastly, do I have to do anything to get my server to talk to the
> rest of the dns servers of the world?  I guess im not understanding
> how these things all know to update each other.

as long as you have a working root hints file and recursion is allowed,
you shouldn't need to do anything.  you may want to restrict recursion
and axfr from outside of your network.

--
GPG Public Key:
http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/