reverse dns issue

Michael Feld michael at orionmedia.net
Fri May 11 14:43:35 UTC 2001

Hi...

I have been running BIND 8.2.x (currently 8.2.3) for quite awhile now, and
yesterday, it seems to have just stopped working.  I believe that it is
because of a problem with reverse dns, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

I have a cable modem for which I do not control the reverse lookups. Up to
now, I've survived without having a reverse table, and this has worked
fine, because my provider was actually doing the reverse.  It seems that
yesterday, they may have taken down the server that does reverse for me,
so in that time no one was able to get reverse lookups for my box,
obviously, but it also seems that this is when my dns stopped functioning.
Since that point, it seems that one of the 4 servers listed at
www.arin.net is indeed responding to queries about the reverse, but the
other 3 are not, and a sampling of lookups on other machines where I have
shell accounts shows they  can't get an answer to a generic query that
doesn't specify a server to query.

I have since added the server that is answering this query as an upstream
nameserver to named.conf, and also added a reverse table, but none of
this is working.  I'm still getting the generic:

*** Can't find server name for address x.x.x.x: Non-existent
host/domain *** Default servers are not available

when making any query at all.

If anyone should have a workaround for this, I'd appreciate it. Not sure
what to tell my provider if the solution is calling them, but I figure
there has to be a workaround that will let me be less dependent on them
for this.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Michael

====> michael at orionmedia.net <==========

A weasel in the hand is worth two in the henhouse.

-Plato