first /etc/hosts, then nameserver

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu May 10 21:05:41 UTC 2001

I don't understand. Why wouldn't you just configure the reverse records for
each IP to point back to separate names? Is this ssl-engine looking at the
system *nodename*, is that it? That's just braindead. It should be mapping from
the (instance-specific) address to a name, or from some statically-configured
hostname to an address. System nodenames have never really been a reliable
source of naming information, since machines can be multi-functional and have
different names by which they are known, for each function.

- Kevin