Changing MX IP Address?

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu May 10 17:53:48 UTC 2001

At 11:42 AM -0500 5/10/01, Dan Star wrote:

>  We will need to change our MX IP Address due to a change in ISP.  My
>  question is how can we assure that this IP Address change gets
>  propagated throughout the DNS system so that disruption to email is
>  limited.  Any advice is appreciated.

	Reduce your TTL as much as you can before the change (e.g., down
to five minutes), then after the change, you should see the traffic
move over from the old system to the new one.  When you've waited at
least $TTL seconds since you changed the IP address for the MX
records, you should be able to shut off the old server (however, you
might want to wait 2*$TTL, just to be sure).

	See section 8.4 of the book _DNS & BIND_, written by Paul Albitz
& Cricket Liu, and published by O'Reilly & Assoc -- At least, it's
section 8.4 in 3rd edition, which is the latest I currently have.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */