Help with forwarders

Steve Best steveb at bluetiger.com
Thu May 10 18:10:13 UTC 2001

Yeah, I was wondering if it was possible to remain authorative on my
network, while getting updates from XO for the IP's they host for us.

Hosting externally is not really an option, as we are running off a business
DSL line, and I dont trust it enough to put anything critical on it, such as
the mailer, DNS or webserver.

Steve

Kevin wrote:

--snip---

Or, if the *only* difference between your version of bluetiger.com and your
ISP's is that those external entries exist in the ISP version and not yours,
define your nameserver as a slave for that zone. Although I suspect that the
reason you defined bluetiger.com as master on your nameserver in the first
place is because you have "private" entries in the zone that aren't supposed
to be viewable by external clients. In that case, becoming a slave is not an
option.

In the long run, you'll probably want to run both the internal and external
DNS yourself, possibly on the same box (your ISP could then slave from you).
Then you could use BIND 9's "view" mechanism to serve different versions of
the zone to internal versus external clients. (You can do this in BIND 8
too,
but it requires configuring multiple interfaces on the box and running a
different nameserver instance on each relevant interface. Yuck).

- Kevin