question on the h2n utility

Andris Kalnozols andris at hpl.hp.com
Thu May 10 12:08:31 UTC 2001

> Andy Tan wrote:
>
> I've a question on h2n utility,  is there a flag in the h2n script to create
> a 2nd db. file for a second domain that the DNS server is hosting?

Currently, h2n builds only one forward-mapping zone file per run.
For domains X.COM and Y.COM on network ZZ.ZZ.ZZ, the general scheme
of the h2n options would be:

  1st run:  -d X.COM       # builds db.X
            -p Y.COM       # include PTR data for Y.COM in db.ZZ.ZZ.ZZ
            -n ZZ.ZZ.ZZ    # builds db.ZZ.ZZ.ZZ

  2nd run:  -d Y.COM       # builds db.Y
            -e X.COM       # ignore data for X.COM
            -a ZZ.ZZ.ZZ    # don't build db.ZZ.ZZ.ZZ

Andris Kalnozols
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories