port 53

Michael McQuarrie metrismq at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 23:34:22 UTC 2001

I have my server up and running with 8.2.3-REL and
everything works except the primary function of the
server...imagine that.  I am trying to get the server
to respond to queries on the outside of the firewall.
It wont.  Everything on the inside works and the
server receives the queries from the outside BUT
supplies no response.  The firewall is set-up to allow
packets through port 53.  I understand there is a
thing with 8.2.3 and up that BIND uses a random high
numbered port to respond through.  As you can see this
is not acceptable for my firewall setup.  I have added
the query-source * port 53; statement to my named.conf
and it says "Forwarding source address is
[0.0.0.0].53".  It doesn't work.  I'm ignorant when it
comes to forwarding(and bind in general for that
matter) so I dont know if this is what I want to see.
It doesn't work but I would like to know if i'm
looking at the right things.  Actually I would like to
know how to make this thing work!  Bottom line...how
can I make my server send all responses through port
53? I know it's possible.  Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

Michael McQuarrie

PS. If you think this is an idiotic message I dont
need to hear about it.  I know I am less than
intelligent on this subject, that's why i'm asking you.