All name servers on one segment?

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Mon May 7 17:20:07 UTC 2001

At 11:03 AM +0000 5/7/01, Kenneth Porter wrote:

>  Given the recent DNS attack on Microsoft, does it make sense for a large
>  site to have all its name servers on one segment?

	Nope, that's a particularly bad idea -- even if they do have
multiple redundant paths into the network, etc....

>  For an economy hosting service, HostPro has done a pretty good job for me.
>  Their handling of DNS leaves me a bit less than confident, though. Are my
>  concerns misplaced?

	IMO, no.  You are quite right to be concerned about these things.

	If you have control over your own domain (it's just that HostPro
is providing the facilities), then you may want to consider signing
up for a secondary nameservice, such as provided by
Nominum/secondary.com -- For the first five domains and/or 100
records, their basic service is free.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */