Performance Test Metrics for dns server performance.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat May 5 01:51:55 UTC 2001

I never said performance didn't matter. In fact, I clearly said that
performance *did* matter, but it's query performance to the *clients* that
matters, not just queries/sec on the nameserver side. Your original message
seemed rather obsessed with the queries/sec metric, where in actual fact
intelligent placement and distribution of nameservers in the enterprise, good
namespace design, master/slave dependency graphs, Refresh/Retry/TTL tuning etc.
are often much more important in terms of actual performance than the query/sec
capacities of individual servers or nameserver implementations. To paraphrase a
classic phrase about software efficiency: "the fastest query response is the
one that isn't sent", i.e. because the query was already answered by a
nameserver closer to the client, straight out of its cache or authoritative
data.

Besides, if you care about high performance, why did you run your tests on a
toy Intel-based box? What does that prove? That a pig can sing?

As for your comparison between automobile maintenance and DNS maintenance,
well, I might know a thing or two about the automotive world as well :-) If
you're willing to outsource all of your DNS maintenance the way you
"outsource" your automobile maintenance to your local auto mechanic, and money
is no object, then sure, maybe the relative maintainability of djbdns and
BIND doesn't matter to you. You're basically just slapping a fixed cost on your
TCO and letting someone else deal with the headaches. But that's not the way
most folks operate, not even large ISPs with more money than brains. When
you're maintaining your own stuff, then tools *do* matter. A lot. And they have
a large effect on the TCO of a particular solution.

And, why the hell are you getting calls from your junior admins about missing
dots or un-incremented serial numbers? If you'd done your job correctly as a
senior admin (I assume that's what you consider yourself), the update process
would be automated and such problems wouldn't exist. Manual update of serial
numbers is for Mom&Pop shops, not "enterprises".

- Kevin