Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA question

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri May 4 21:38:12 UTC 2001

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 10:21:31PM +0200, Cyril Guibourg wrote:
> "Michael Hench" <mhench at neumark.com> writes:
> > So, I have two questions:
> > A) does the address format in the $ORIGIN line in our zone file have to
> > match the address format that is used by our provider for the CNAME alias?
>
> The origin of your reverse zone must match the name of the delegated VLSM
> reverse zone. If you provider calls it 26-0.28.100.66.in-addr.arpa, you
> have to use it for the ORIGIN statement or the resolution algorithm will fail.

NOTE PLEASE: a "$ORIGIN" statement is TOTALLY UNNECESSARY.

The zone file gets its origin from the zone statement which calls it
out.

> > B) When I asked the provider question A about their CNAME records, they said
> > "we delegate by NS records, so your entire IP range points to your name
> > servers."  ???  Isn't some sort of support (i.e. zone entries as per the
> > RFC) on their part required in order for the whole scheme to work?  That's
> > how I understood it, but you are all smarter than me, so I am asking you....
>
> No, has they said they will associate a NS record to each PTR record that
> belongs to your address space so they do not have to manage CNAME RRs.
>
> Basically it means the following on the ISP server:
>
> $ORIGIN 0.28.100.66.in-addr.arpa. SOA ns contact (
>                         blah blah blah
>                         )
>
> 1               IN NS   your.dns-server.xxx.
> 2               IN NS   your.dns-server.xxx.
>
> and so on until 63
>
> 63              IN NS   your-dns-server.xxx.

In other words, YES, he does need some special support from his ISP.
But this is not the standard RFC2317 way of doing it [as I believe you
said in the part I just <snip>ed].  If you are right [and it is
consistent with what he was told ... which doesn't mean that it's
right], then he will have to have a separate zone for each IP address,
and a single PTR record in each zone.

Blecchhhh.

OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B