errors with 8.2.3 for NT

James jsimons at edistonet.com
Fri May 4 17:35:47 UTC 2001

While running through another test install of Bind 8.2.3 I got this error

10:23:01.000 sysquery: sendto([198.32.64.12].12].53): Errcode: 2: No
such file or directory
10:23:02:000 recvfrom: Errcode: 2: No such file or directory
10:23:05:000 recvfrom: Errcode: 2: No such file or directory
etc.

I went snooping to find out where it was getting this IP as it is not
one of mine and found that it was one of the root servers listed in the
cache.db that I got from from the Bind for NT website.  I commented out
that server after that and ran the install again and got the same
message from 192.112.36.4.  Now, the only thing that I can figure is
that for some reason or another the directory that the cache file is
trying to dump the domain info to doesn't exit.  However, I can't find
where that location is.  It isn't specified in the named.conf or any of
the other zone files.  Perhaps this is my problem and my named.conf
doesn't list a directory for such things, however I haven't seen any
mention of it anywhere.

The other problem I'm having is very odd as well.  My main domain lets
say a.com works after i switch over to bind 8.  My other domain lets
call it b.com does not.  The zone files for these two are rather far
apart.  For the sake of simplicity I'm going to cut and paste them in
here and let you guys see what I'm talking about.  Are there any
differences between the two that I'm not aware of and should be?

Thanks Again

a.com.    IN    NS    ns1.a.com.
a.com.    IN    NS    ns2.cl.bellsouth.net.

;
;      Local Host Address
;

localhost    IN    A    127.0.0.1

ns1        IN    A    208.215.151.129
www        IN    A    208.215.151.130
news        IN    A    208.215.151.131
modems        IN    A    208.215.151.138
gateway        IN    A    208.215.151.139
members        IN    A    208.215.151.140
a.com.    IN    A    208.215.151.130

m01        IN    A    208.215.151.201
m02        IN    A    208.215.151.202
m03        IN    A    208.215.151.203
m04        IN    A    208.215.151.204
m05        IN    A    208.215.151.205
m06        IN    A    208.215.151.206
m07        IN    A    208.215.151.207
m08        IN    A    208.215.151.208
m09        IN    A    208.215.151.209
m10        IN    A    208.215.151.200

The mxx are the ips assigned to the modems that my customers use to dial
in with.

for b.com the zone looks like this

$TTL 86400
@        IN SOA    ns1.a.com. hostmaster.a.com. (
           2001050301    ; serial number
           43200        ; refresh every 12 hours
           7200         ; retry after 2 hours
           1209600      ; expire after 2 weeks
           172800)      ; default ttl is 2 days
;
;  Nameserver(s) for b.com domain.
;
b.com.    IN    NS    ns1.a.com.
b.com.    IN    NS    ns2.cl.bellsouth.net.

;
;      Local Host Address
;

localhost        IN    A    127.0.0.1
www            IN    A    208.215.151.166
b.com.    IN    A    208.215.151.166