which rfc?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri May 4 00:13:28 UTC 2001

Not to discourage you, but be aware that there are two sets of standards to
follow here. The DNS standards themselves are relatively lax as to what
characters and labels are permissible. I don't those have changed much if at
all since RFCs 1034 and 1035. But then there is a separate standard for
"hostnames" (see RFCs 952 and 1123). Anything in DNS that is a "hostname" is
subject to both sets of standards, but anything else is only subject to the
DNS standards. For instance, underscore is legal in a DNS name but not in a
hostname.

- Kevin