separate static and ddns host files

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu May 3 18:59:03 UTC 2001

Denis Barbet wrote:

> Bonjour,
>
> I have read the bind archives to find solutions to  mix static and dynamic
> range ip .
>
> I have found several answers  (especially from Bob Vance , thanks to him) ,
> where the way is to use the zone  "dynamic.in-addr.arpa".
>
> But i am not sure to understand exactly well this way, and second part  i
> am not exactly sure to make the right modifications in the right files...
>
> So anybody could answer to me about the followings    ? :
>
> -  HOw finally can i have  four differents host files by this way  (two
> "host  static" and two "host dynamic") ?

Host files really have nothing to do with DNS or BIND.

> - Should i add a reverse zone in the
> named.conf  with  "dynamic.in-addr.arpa"  or not ?

Probably not. The reverse address space under in-addr.arpa is structured
according to the octets of IP addresses. The reverse record for the address
1.2.3.4, for instance, would be 4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa. If you create a
"dynamic.in-addr.arpa", then this will depart from the normal namespace
hiearchy. Clients doing reverse lookups won't know to look under
"dynamic.in-addr.arpa" unless perhaps you have aliases pointing to that part of
the namespace.

> - Should i add a $include statement in the normal host file to
> precise  dynamic updating. And where should i place this include  statmeent
> in the host file ?
> - What  should be the contents of this include file ?

I think you may have misunderstood something that Bob said. $INCLUDE directives
don't work in zones which are enabled for Dynamic Update. Besides, if you don't
see any reason to use an $INCLUDE file, don't use one.

> -  In which file  should i write the $generate statement for dynamic range :
> $generate 230-240 $ CNAME $.113.221.195.dynamic.in-addr.arpa            ?
> (if the dynamic ip range is 230-240)

$GENERATE also doesn't work in zones enabled for Dynamic Update.

> In fact i don't want to create new zone for dynamic ip ranges, but only new
> hosts files. Is it really possible without disturbing the other services
> (parent named, sendmail, etc...) who are using dns.

Both sendmail and named have DNS-specific resolver routines. So you can't just
move names between DNS and /etc/hosts files transparently to those programs.

Just what is it that you are trying to do, exactly?

- Kevin