Dial in customers unable to view websites and other problems

James jsimons at edistonet.com
Wed May 2 19:56:34 UTC 2001

I just finished a new attempt at installing bind 8 and after running
into some problems I had to re-enable bind 4.9.5 so my customers could
have access to the Internet.

What happened after I installed it is this, customers were able to log
in, but they could not receive web sites.  I thought this might have
been related to the fact that the domain that they authenticate to not
being properly set up after the install.  So, I made the named.conf file
and added the zones to it as is necessary and made a few changes to the
zone files including the $ttl option.  I then rebooted the server and
kept having the same problem.  Then on a whim I decided to change the
tcp\ip settings for the dial up customers and specified the DNS servers
under Windows.  That fixed the problem outright, the only problem with
this is that I can't change some 500 people tcp\ip settings!  Does
anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem?

Second problem I'm having is that after I make the switch to v8 and
change over the zone files my domains quit working.  I even redid the db
files on a few of them based on the the example but that had no effect.

Last question, can someone give me a hand with the script that is
supposed to change over the zone and named.boot files for me?  I can't
find anything that will run it.

It seems to me that I must have configured something wrong in all of
this I just don't know where.  I really do appreciate all the help that
people have offered to me over the past few days and I hope that I can
get this solved quickly.

Thanks