Root File

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed May 2 17:52:22 UTC 2001

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 08:05:13AM -0500, Y2KNET wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I am trying to find how you delegate a
> zone, e.g. I have a entry in my zone file
> for my customer as:
>
> zone  "xyz.com" {
>     type master;
>     file "xyz.hosts";
> };
>
> I am trying to find where I should
> put the IP address. Like in  slave zone,
> we put IP address:
>
>     masters {199.195.30.2 };

file "xyz.hosts":

subdomain.xyz.hosts.		NS	name.server.for.that.domain.
	[note the trailing dots]

IF the name server for "subdomain.xyz.hosts" is in that domain, you
will have to provide an "A" record as glue.  It will promptly be
forgotten once the querying name server accepts the subdomain name
server as authoritative.

file "xyz.hosts":

subdomain.xyz.hosts.		NS	centauri.subdomain.xyz.hosts.
centauri.subdomain.xyz.hosts.	A	192.168.1000.2000
	[note the obviously impossible IP address, it's just an
	example!]

If your style is to make all internal references to the zone relative,
this would look like:

subdomain			NS	centauri.subdomain
centauri.subdomain		A	192.168.1000.2000

OSIS/COSPO Computer Support					EMT-B