named-bootconf.pl

Jay Nugent jjn at home.nuge.com
Tue May 1 18:21:04 UTC 2001

Greetings,

On Tue, 1 May 2001, Bob Villa wrote:

> How do you use this file.  I have run "perl named-bootconf.pl
> named.boot" but this creates no output file.

<RANT ON>
   This has been a pet peeve of mine.  I am of the belief that a script
should TELL the user the correct syntax of the commands it expects or
accepts...  The authors of named-bootconf.pl don't agree with me and think
everyone should be a programmer and read the source code... :-(
</RANT OFF>

   You have to tell 'named-bootconf.pl' where the INPUT will come from and
where the OUTPUT belongs and what it will be called.  You do this with the
redirect options '<' and '>', that direct Standard Input and Standard
Output.  Here's how the command should look:

  cd into the directory where 'named-bootconf.pl' resides, -OR- include
the full path to the command.

 /path-to-script/named-bootconf.pl < /etc/named.boot > /etc/named.conf

   This will read in '/etc/named.boot', process it, and write its output
to '/etc/named.conf'.

   Hope this helps you (and others that have been tripped up by this),

      --- Jay

| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)971-1076    (734)971-4529/Fax        |
| Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |