rndc connect: connection refused

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue May 1 13:33:17 UTC 2001

Please note 2 things vis-a-vis BIND 9:

 1) you cannot "start" 'named' version9 via 'rndc' like you could
version8 via 'ndc'.

 2) if 'named' v9 is *not* already running, then *any* 'rndc' command
will return connection refused.

Thus , if you tried

    'rndc start'

you'll get the error that you mentioned.

Note that *any* argument given to 'rndc', when 'named' is not running,
even non-existent commands, such as "xyz", will cause the same error.

I'm not sure exactly why there is not any syntax checking within 'rndc'
*before* an attempt to connect to 'named' is made,
Probably simply to disconnect any coding within 'rndc' from coding
within 'named' so 2 pieces of code don't need to be updated whenever a
new feature is added.
While this is not exactly a bug, I would consider this "an area that
could use further scrutiny" :)

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511