Caching Puzzle

Alex Bennett alexb at intira.com
Thu May 31 21:54:33 UTC 2001

Long time reader first time posting.  I apologize if this is a novice
mistake that you guys can figure out in 5 seconds, but I need an
explanation.

I'm having trouble with the host reliant.ezpricing.com.  The 2 authoritative
name servers ns.ezpricing.com and ns1.dbn.net are giving out the correct
answer for this query of 204.253.35.254.  It seems everyone else on the
Internet is getting the wrong answer of 63.142.67.30.  I am the maintainer
of the secondary server ns1.dbn.net and our customer is responsible for the
primary ns.ezpricing.com.  It's not a caching thing (as far as I can tell)
because I've reloaded, even rebooted some of our other non-authoritative
servers and they still come back with the wrong answer.

The customer seems to have an extra NS record in the zone but this name
server still has the right answer.  I want to know where this false
information is coming from.  The root servers show the correct information
and all authoritative servers return correct information why do all the
other server (at least the ones I've checked, like ns3.dbn.net) get bogus
info.

I don't know how our customer did it but he said he made this change about a
month ago and it's still around.  The change being reliant.ezpricing.com
from 63.142.67.30 to 204.253.35.254.

I hope this isn't too long winded or confusing.

Alex Bennett
Intira Corporation