what is the diference?

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Thu May 31 14:01:14 UTC 2001

At 9:40 AM -0400 5/31/01, Adam Lang wrote:
>Really?  I never saw that ever mentioned.  That is mighty interesting info.
>
>Adam Lang
>Systems Engineer
>Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
>http://www.rutgersinsurance.com

If you look at RFC 1034, section 3.6.2, you'll find a rather
vaguely-written description of what a CNAME record is. Careful
reading will yield the fact that an alias creates a duplicate of an
entire node (i.e. all records of a particular name and class), not
just an RRSet of type A.

<http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1034.html>

Chris Buxton <cbuxton at menandmice.com>

Men & Mice <http://www.menandmice.com/> provides:
  - DNS training, including Active Directory
  - QuickDNS, a DNS management system for servers on Linux & Mac OS
    (Solaris support coming soon!)
  - DNS Expert, a DNS analysis and troubleshooting utility