How to stop someone doing a host -l

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Thu May 31 13:21:32 UTC 2001

At 2:06 PM +0100 5/31/01, Simon Glassman wrote:

>I have a name server which I cannot work out how to stop people doing
>a host -l and then get a list of A records.
>1. how do you stop it.
>2. does it affect anything by doing so.
>3. can any see any point in doing it...
>
>Thanks
>Simon.

'host -l' requests a zone transfer, then filters out all records
whose type is not A. Restricting zone transfers will therefore stop
this, if you don't want people getting an easy list of A records from
your zone.

As noted somewhere on the ISC website (I think), this won't stop
anyone determined to get a list of your hosts. It will just stop
those who are merely curious.

Chris Buxton <cbuxton at menandmice.com>

Men & Mice <http://www.menandmice.com/> provides:
  - DNS training, including Active Directory
  - QuickDNS, a DNS management system for servers on Linux & Mac OS
    (Solaris support coming soon!)
  - DNS Expert, a DNS analysis and troubleshooting utility