default $ttl

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed May 30 23:27:54 UTC 2001

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 08:49:23AM +1000, Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:
> 	Actually both are legal (provided you fix the SOA records in
> 	both examples to be legal).
>
> 	The first is using RFC2308 sematics to set TTLs on records
> 	without TTLs.  i.e. Inherited from previous $TTL.
>
> 	The second is using RFC103[45] sematics to set TTLs on records
> 	without TTLs.  i.e. Inherited from previous record.
>
> 	BIND 9 implements both starts in RFC103[45] mode and switches
> 	to RFC2308 mode when it reads a $TTL directive.

Ack.  Missed that.  I'll remember it now.  ;-)  Thanks.

I ignored the fact that the '(' was not on the same line as the start
of the SOA statement in the second example, and the fact that the SOA
statement in the first example was incomplete, because that seemed
outside the scope of the question.  But specifying that may save a
return visit by the requestor.  ;-)

OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B