nslookup from WinNT machine

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Wed May 30 14:04:57 UTC 2001

At 8:54 PM -0400 5/29/01, Kevin Darcy wrote:

>  I agree that the security (gratuitous information-disclosure) flaws of
>  HINFO and/or WKS records don't really apply to PTR records. But as for
>  "more hassle than they [a]re worth", that's open to debate. And as for
>  "hard to keep up-to-date", that's true even of PTR, to a point.
>  Certainly -- trivially -- not maintaining PTRs at all is easier than
>  maintaining them.

	Obviously, you have to have IP addresses assigned to the names in
question -- there would be nothing else to put in the DNS otherwise.
With that information, you have all you need to maintain PTR records.
The same cannot be said for WKS or HINFO.

	Both WKS and HINFO require knowledge of what the machine is
currently running today, and how that may be different from what it
was running yesterday, or what it will be running tomorrow -- either
in terms of programs & services, or the hardware, or the OS (and
version).

	Now, tell me -- how many people in the world do you honestly
think do proper resource management to the level that they can tell
you at a moments notice precisely what version of what OS is running
on precisely what hardware and precisely what programs & services
should be running on that machine?

	PTR requires none of this.  PTR requires only knowing what the
canonical name for the machine is, and what its IP address is.
That's it.  That's information you should already have for each and
every machine you have listed in your DNS.

	You can't lower the bar to access much more than this.

>  Why should I have to prove a negative? Seems like it makes more sense for
>  the proponents of PTR to prove that they are worth the time and effort
>  and expense it takes to maintain them.

	The proponents of PTR records are the guys who invented the DNS
and who have been the primary architects of the DNS since its
invention.

	To paraphrase Carl Sagan, if you want to make an extraordinary
claim that PTR records have absolutely no value whatsoever and should
not continue to be maintained, then the burden is on *YOU* to come up
with the extraordinary proof of your claims.

>  Again, you're citing RFCs to justify the maintenance of PTRs. But I see
>  this as fundamentally a circular argument, since features of the protocol
>  which are maintained poorly or not at all tend to get officially
>  deprecated eventually. If adherence to the standard is the *only*
>  reason for maintaining a particular record type, and the *only* reason
>  that the feature hasn't been deprecated because it's still in active
>  use, then that's a tautology.

	I see your complaint as a fundamentally circular argument.  You
refuse to accept the proof of the only documents which are capable of
providing the proof, and yet you ask for more proof.

	Just what the fsck kind of proof would you actually accept
then?!?  If you don't take Dave Barr's word for it, in the document
he wrote on the subject, just who would you actually be willing to
listen to?  Does someone have to physically come to your office and
put a gun to your head and play Russian Roulette with six bullets
loaded in a revolver?!?

>  I think you missed my point. IMO, one shouldn't be using DNS *at*all* for
>  authenticating remote-execution or remote-login.

	I'll agree with that statement.  Absolutely no authentication
should be done that does not make proper and secure use of strong
cryptographic techniques.

	However, unless you're willing to shut off all your computers
until such time as all computer access of any sort is gated through
proper and secure use of strong cryptographic techniques, you really
don't have a leg to stand on.  The methods simply *WILL* be used that
are available, and you have to deal with that -- whether you like it
or not.

>                   The absence of PTR records discourages people from using
>  DNS as an authentication method, which in turn encourages them to look
>  towards cryptographic solutions.

	If everyone in the world did that at the same time, and everyone
in the world was willing to abandon all non-cryptographic forms of
authentication, that might be true.

	However, you're never going to get everyone in the world to agree
to anything, especially when it comes up to giving up what little
they may have achieved so far, and you cannot yet deliver to them the
Panacea to take the place of everything else they've lost.

	Put your money where your mouth is, by turning off every single
computer or electronic device you own or are directly or indirectly
responsible for.  Then I might be willing to listen to your arguments.

>  The point is, the screwy in-addr.arpa namespace has a steep learning curve.

	Granted.

>  Some people "get it" fairly quickly, but many do not. And you can't expect
>  a whiz-bang management tool to do your thinking for you -- it's just a
>  tool after all.

	In the case of PTR records, I believe you actually can -- they
don't require any additional information beyond what you already have.

	All you have to do is take all your forward records and convert
them into appropriately formatted reverse records, and then check
your delegations to make sure that they are correct.

	These are things that are well within the capabilities of tools
today, because we already have tools today that can check these
things to see if you've done them correctly.

>                   The inherent incomprehensibility of reverse DNS *is* a
>  negative, the question is, is it enough of a negative, along with the
>  other negatives, to outweigh the convenience of having it?

	Having a tool manage all this for you is certainly no substitute
for properly understanding it all yourself.

	But you think that PTR records today are bad?  You just wait for
IPv6.  The nightmare you know today cannot *BEGIN* to compare to the
mega-nightmare to come.

	IIRC, PTR records are a critical part of IPsec which is integral
to IPv6, so if you think you're in bad shape now, you cannot *BEGIN*
to comprehend just how bad off you will be.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */