Diagnosis help

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Wed May 30 01:12:07 UTC 2001

I am unable to find a problem from the outside. Therefore, you'll
have to do some investigation to find out the source of the problem.

I queried a gTLD server (f.gtld-servers.net, as it happens) and found
exactly what I expected:

lucidlogic.com.			NS	ganymede.lucidlogic.com.
lucidlogic.com.			NS	europa.lucidlogic.com.
ganymede.lucidlogic.com.	A	203.45.62.18
europa.lucidlogic.com.		A	144.132.2.3

Querying both of these servers yielded similar results. Each server
knows the NS records for the zone and the A records for the servers;
each answer is authoritative.

So, the questions for you to answer are:

- What machine can't find ganymede.lucidlogic.com?
- Is that machine using Windows, Mac OS, or something Unix-like?
- If it's Unix-like, what DNS resolvers are listed in its
configuration? It may be getting bad data from any of them.
- If it's Windows or Mac OS, what is the first DNS resolver listed in
its configuration? It only queries the first listed resolver unless
that resolver doesn't answer.

Use iterative (nonrecursive) queries to find out what DNS resolver
has bad data. If the response is authoritative, then the resolver
thinks that it is authoritative, and its zone file is probably
incorrect. If the response is non-authoritative, clear the server's
cache and send it a recursive query; does it come up with the bad
answer again?

If no resolver seems to have bad data (some sort of data, either
cached or authoritative, that either indicates that
ganymede.lucidlogic.com doesn't exist or that it has some incorrect
IP address), then perhaps the answer is to just retry. Or perhaps one
of your resolvers is unable to resolve properly.

I hope this helps.

Chris Buxton <cbuxton at menandmice.com>

Men & Mice <http://www.menandmice.com/> provides:
  - DNS training, including Active Directory
  - QuickDNS, a DNS management system for Bind on Linux & Mac OS
    (Solaris support coming soon!)
  - DNS Expert, a DNS analysis and troubleshooting utility