strange errors from BIND-9.1.1

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed May 30 06:48:29 UTC 2001

> On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 02:53:16PM +1000, Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:
> >

> > > 	This is really strange since I am using the FreeBSD port
> > > 	of BIND.  Anybody know what is causing these errors?
> > >
> > > 	thanks,
> > >
> > > 	gary
> > >

> > > May 29 20:53:39 tao named[79350]: starting BIND 9.1.1 -c /etc/namedb/name
> d.co
> > > nf
> >
> > 	The current release is BIND 9.1.2.
> >
> > > May 29 20:53:39 tao named[79350]: entropy.c:949: unexpected error:
> > > May 29 20:53:39 tao named[79350]: fcntl(8, F_SETFL, 4): Inappropriate ioc
> tl f
> > > or
> > > device
> >
> > 	See README.  Time to upgrade your FreeBSD box:-)
> >
> > 	Self evident.  If you had read the README and documentation
> > 	referenced by README you would not need to have asked about
> > 	these.
> >
> > 	You tried to run two copies of named at once on the same interface.
> >

> 		Exactly so: I cut and pasted the wrong log entries.
>
> 		I am running v 4.1.1 of FreeBSD and shouldn't need
> 		to uprev the OS yet.  If this really is the case,
> 		maybe it is time to go back to BIND-8.

	Well if you want the error message to go away you need to
	need to upgrade.  If you can live with the reduced
	functionality you don't need to.  This was all explained
	in the README.

	As for "I am running v 4.1.1 of FreeBSD and shouldn't need
	to uprev the OS yet.", you obviously have not dealt with
	the real world of running computer systems to know how
	absurd this statement is.

	If you really want to you can locate the fix, install it
	in your 4.1.1 source tree and rebuild the kernel.  I find
	cvsup, a couple of make commands and mergemaster much
	simpler however.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.